Vegan & Zero Waste Cereal and Milk
The hunt for zero waste cereal began early. At best, oats are available to me and there are not real cereal options.
Vegan & zero waste cereal and milk.
1 cup almonds
1 cup dates
2 cups oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Optional: chopped walnuts, cacao nibs, coconut, etc.
1. Soak 1 cup of dry almonds in water over night, or for a few waters in hot water.
2. Discard soaking water and add 4 cups new water to almonds in blender
3. Blend in a blender a few minutes until almonds are disintegrated
4. Strain into pitcher using nut milk bag or cheese cloth.
5. Add any extras now-sugar, salt, vanilla, etc.
1. Preheat oven to lowest temperature (175 degrees Fahrenheit/ 80 degrees Celsius)
2. Scrape that almond pulp onto a baking sheet or dish and bake at least an hour, or until almond pulp is completely dry.
3. Add toasted almond pulp to food processor with dates, cinnamon and 1/2 of the oats.
4. Blend until dates are no longer in large chunks. At this point you may choose to add more oats for a different texture.
5. Remove from food processor and add remaining oats and any extras.
6. Serve hot or cold with almond milk.
Enjoy! This cereal is a wonderful base for you to change around by adding things or changing proportions.